Golden Globe Goddesses
At the recent Golden Globes, lots of truly glammed up looks were flaunted on the Red Carpet.
Adele's larger than life upstyle matched her larger than life voice while Helen Mirren's bouncy waves reflected her exuberant personality.
This year's dazzling Red Carpet allowed stars to truly shine.
Many showcased their own personal style with sass and panache, says Joico International Creative Director Damien Carney.
Here are Carney's picks for the best looks of the evening and some hot tips for recreating each stylish look.
Best Updos: Julianne Moore and Adele
"I love the way Julianne's beehive was reinvented," says Carney. "It's not over-worked or overly-backcombed-the size and proportion are perfect!"
Get the look:
1. Combine a pea-sized dollop of Joico Smooth Cure Leave-In Rescue Treatment and a golf-ball sized application of Joico Power Whip Whipped Foam to damp hair.
2. Blow dry with a large, round brush, smoothing and stretching to create natural body.
3. Establish a low side part.
4. Section off the crown area and backcomb lightly with a Mason Pearson-style brush. Mist the area with Joico Power Spray Fast Dry Finishing Spray to support the volume.
5. With your hands and the brush, smooth and direct one side toward the back. Working from nape to crown secure the sections with a vertical row of bobby pins, then criss-cross each pin with another set of pins. Work up to the crown.
6. Direct the other side back, fold and pleat, maintaining a full crown and secure with bobby pins. The nape should be tight to the head, the top less so.
7. Mist with Power Spray.
"Adele's big hair matches her big voice," declares Carney. "It's large and strong and evokes a modern '60s feeling."
Get the look:
1. Apply two drops of Joico Smooth Cure Leave-In Rescue to damp hair, comb through and blow dry with a large round brush.
2. Set hair with heated rollers to create volume and body. Remove rollers and brush through thoroughly.
3. Isolate the front hairline and clip away.
4. Mist the remaining hair with Joico JoiShape Shaping and Finishing Spray. Once the spray dries, brush through-the spray will make it easier to control and construct the shape.
5. Divide the hair into two sections-front and back. Beginning at the crown, backcomb large, horizontal sections at the scalp. Continue backcombing, switching to vertical sections at the sides and finishing in the front.
6. Without disturbing the volume, lightly smooth and gather the hair away from the face.
7. Sweep one side around and toward the back, and secure with a row of criss-crossed bobby pins.
8. Repeat on the opposite side, pleating and folding the hair with a light twist to conceal the lengths and secure.
9. Release the fringe and backcomb lightly. Brush the section lightly away from the face and use your fingers to curve and direct the hair. Mist lightly with Joico Power Spray Fast Dry Finishing Spray.
Best Tousled Waves: Helen Mirren
"These bouncy, carefree waves are youthful and lively," says Carney. "It's important to keep mature hair as healthy and shiny as possible with a great conditioner like Joico K-PAK RevitaLuxe."
Get the look:
1. Apply a small amount of Joico Power Whip Whipped Foam to damp hair and blow dry with a large round brush.
2. Mist hair with Joico Texture Boost Dry Spray Wax for control and light, workable texture.
3. Divide the top and bottom sections from temple to temple with a horseshoe-shaped parting.
4. Twirl random vertical sections around a medium-sized curling iron. Mix up the shape and size of the sections to create an irregular and natural-looking wave pattern. Begin at the nape and work through the sides. Direct the front sections away from the face.
5. Mist with Joico Humidity Blocker Finishing Spray to control frizz.
6. Gently shape and comb the finished shape with fingers.
Best Ballerina Bun: Emily Blunt
"Nothing is more classic and elegant than a high, tight topknot," says Carney. "The bun should be as full as possible-it creates a very luxe effect. Try Joico Body Luxe Shampoo and Conditioner to plump up skinny strands."
Get the look:
1. Apply a dime-size amount of Joico Creme Wax to wet hair and comb through.
2. Using your hands and fingers, gather hair into a ponytail and secure it at the crown with a bungee cord-style hair band.
3. Wrap and twist the remaining hair into a bun, mist with Joico Power Spray Fast Dry Finishing Spray and secure.
4. Camouflage the bungee cord with a small strand of hair.
5. Mist hands with Joico JoiShape Shaping and Finishing Spray and gently pat the hair without disturbing the bun to control flyaways and add polish.
Best Textured Upsweep: Jennifer Lawrence
"This is a great way to showcase natural wave or curl," says Carney. "The look is feminine and elegant."
Get the look:
1. Apply Joico K-PAK Color Care Therapy Restorative Styling Oil to damp hair and comb through.
2. Air dry hair or dry it with a diffuser to encourage the natural texture.
3. Mist with Joico Humidity Blocker Finishing Spray.
4. Loosely divide the head from temple to temple across the top of the head.
5. Gather the bottom section loosely at the nape and secure with a clear elastic band.
6. Direct remaining side lengths toward the back and secure at the nape with bobby pins.
7. Mist the top section with Joico JoiShape Shaping and Finishing Spray and massage it lightly into the scalp to encourage additional texture. Avoid disturbing the curl.
8. Gently direct the top section back and secure with bobby pins. Allow random hairline sections to fall free to create softness.