Body Language Quiz
Answer true or false to the following questions to deter-mine your level of fluency in interpreting body language.
1. If your client has her hands on her hips, she’s feeling aggressive.
2. Offering part of your seating bench to a new client indicates that he’s welcome to join you.
3. Mirroring your client’s movements and laughing when she does, shows her that the two of you are connecting.
4. When interpreting body language, a person should immediately form a conclusion after he observes one gesture.
5. When a client constantly darts her eyes around the room, she’s looking for an escape route.
6. Slightly touching a client’s forearm lets him know that you’re engaged in his story.
7. A client who runs her hands through her hair implies that she’s confident and is anxious to make a good impression.
8. Crossing your leg toward your client indicates that you want to include him in your conversation.
9. A client who clasps her hands and holds them behind her head is conveying that she’s in agreement with what she’s hearing.
10. A slow walker appears more confident than a hur-ried walker.Editor: Jan Hargrave has a master’s degree in psychol-ogy and is the CEO of Jan Hargrave and Associates, a Houston-based consulting firm. To learn more about Hargrave—and take a second body-language test—access janhargrave.com
Answers: 1-T, 2-T, 3-T, 4-F, 5-T, 6-T, 7-F, 8-T, 9-F, 10-T