Hip and Happening: Updating a Classic Updo
Pretty updos aren't just reserved for the conservative crowd! Give your trend-conscious clients a "hipdo" - a twist on the classic updo - with mode braids and a vibrant color, like this one created by Emily Dantoni of Aurelio Salon in New Jersey.
"Adding braids into an updo in a whimsical fashion is a great way to give edgier clients a unique and hip, but still elegant, special occasion style," explains Dantoni. "When their color is bold, it makes even more of statement."
How to achieve this hip look:
1. On dry hair, determine the face-framing pieces by sectioning away the hair that falls before the ears.
2. Run a dime-size portion of Goldwell STYLE SIGN Spun Shine Gloss Shine Cream from midlengths to ends to create shimmer and soft hold.
3. Tease at the crown for height. Use discretion when determining how much volume is ideal for the desired result. Smooth the remaining hair back and divide into three sections. Individually braid each section and secure with rubber bands.
4. Pull the braid on the left over to the right to hide the end and then secure the braid by tucking a bobby pin into the base of the right braid. Repeat for the right braid.
5. To perfect the placement of the middle braid, gently pull apart the other braids using a bobby pin. Work the middle braid undeeath the two braids along the nape of the neck and secure the ends by tucking. Spray with KMS California HAIR STAY Dry Xtreme Hairspray.
6. Let the front pieces down and loosely braid the section closest to the ear. Pin above the other braids, pull the rest gently to release shorter layers and pin with braids.
7. With a 1" wand, curl the face frame and finish with KMS California HAIR STAY Dry Xtreme Hairspray for hold and KMS California STYLE SIGN Diamond Gloss for impressive brilliance.