Color Gurus--Open Up a New World of Color!
Brightly colored hair hues no longer mean rebellion. Colorists can easily expand clients' color options with truly wearable rainbow looks.
Danny Moon, Celebrity Colorist at West Hollywood's posh Andy LeCompte Salon, unveils the "Colombre" technique for clients who yearn for bold, knockout color. Daring glamour girls can now flaunt fun, innovative color that's still mainstream enough to feel comfortable.
This technique is a key tool for colorists to add to their arsenal of talents, as it can open clients up to a more versatile way to go bright. "This look allows the client to cater to both sides of her personality," says Moon. "The side that likes to ride on the back of a motorcycle and the boss-side that handles her business and conquers the world."
Get the Look:
Products Needed: Pure Light Power Lightener, 20 Volume Creme Developer, PRAVANA ChromaSilk VIVIDS or PASTELS Colors
Create the Teal Shade: Dilute VIVIDS Green by mixing 1/4 of VIVIDS Green with 1oz of VIVIDS Clear. Add more VIVIDS Green for a deeper teal.
1. Mix PRAVANA Pure Light Power Lightener with your developer of choice; take into account the starting level, desired level, and condition of the hair.
2. Section the hair into 4 sections; parting from ear to ear and forehead to nape.
3. Beginning at the nape, take horizontal subsections approximately 3 inches thick (depending on the density of the hair) and back comb the subsection 5 times to soften the line of demarcation.
4. Apply PRAVANA Pure Light Power Lightener to the last 4 inches of hair and seal with foil; continue working this technique up the head through each of the four sections.
5. Allow the hair to process until the desired level is achieved; refer to PRAVANA's lifting guidelines for VIVIDS and PASTELS to achieve true-to-tone color and optimal longevity.
6. Once the recommended level of lift has been achieved, shampoo, condition, and dry hair completely.
*Note: If the hair has become overly porous, a PRAVANA Silk Degrees Shine Treatment can be applied to the hair to ensure greater longevity of the chosen VIVIDS, PASTELS or custom shade: mix 4 drops of Silk Degrees Serum into 1 ounce of Silk Degrees Treatment and apply to freshly shampooed hair; Place a processing cap over the hair and process under medium heat for 20 minutes then rinse; dry the hair completely to prepare for the VIVIDS, PASTELS or custom shade application.
7. Apply the desired VIVIDS, PASTELS or custom shade on the previously lightened ends; allow to process for 20 minutes at room temperature.
8. Shampoo lightly and rinse with cool water until water runs clear; style as desired.