With formaldehyde-producing products under close security by government agencies, stylists and salons are turning to other types of systems to create smooth locks that exhibit desirable bounce and body.
One such system is Perfection SmoothOut by Pravana, which contains no aldehydes or other suspect ingredients.
Here's how it's done:
1. Consult with client to determine her goals, existing hair texture and condition.
2. Using Perfection Smoothing Sulfate-Free Shampoo, shampoo hair two times.
3. Remove 95% of moisture by first towel-drying and then blow-drying or using a hooded dryer. Pin hair into sections as shown.
4. Using a bowl and brush and starting at the nape, take ½" partings and apply Perfection SmoothOut Solution from scalp to ends. Make sure that solution completely dampens hair. DO NOT oversaturate strands.
5. Smooth hair and looser curl pattern: Process for 15 minutes. After processing is complete, comb hair straight and smooth. Smooth hair and ultra-relaxed curl pattern: Process for 15 minutes, while continuously combing hair straight.
6. Blow-dry hair on medium heat, using a concentrator nozzle and non-metal brush. Using tension, blow-dry until most of the moisture is removed. Hair should be dry to the touch.
7. Heat flat iron to 360º and take a test pass on a ¼" section. Hair has been correctly dried when iron produces steam but doesn't sizzle.
For smooth, more relaxed curl results: Take ¼" partings, iron each section until steam is no longer emitted and hair has a smooth, shiny finish. This typically takes 5 to 7 passes of the iron on each parting.
For smooth, straighter results: Take 1/8" sections and make 7 to 10 passes per parting.
8. Service is now complete. If client wants to leave the salon with an absolutely finished look and feel, allow hair to coo l for 15 minutes, then shampoo one time using Perfection Smoothing Sulfate-Free Shampoo. Dry and finish as desired.