Seven Winning Pinning Techniques
Bra straps. Baby bumps. Bobby pins. Back in the day, all of these things were supposed to stay hidden. Not anymore!
Nowadays, lingerie lives on the outside, baby bumps are proudly displayed and bobby pins have become the hottest hair accessory!
"They're fresh, girly and cheeky," declares Joico International Artistic Director Damien Carney, who shares seven ways to pin with aplomb! View Carney's 7 tips to pinning success
1. Get A Lift. Use a row of bobby pins to sweep hair off of the face, opening up the eyes, cheekbones and jawline. "Pinning hair in the right spot can really give features definition and lift," says Carney.
2. Tame the Bangs. Is she growing out a fringe? Subdue her errant strands with a bold row of bobbies.
3. Make a Bobby Band. Pull her hair back and secure it headband style by criss-crossing interlocking bobby pins from ear to ear.
4. Get Crafty. Plain bobbies too boring? Get out the craft box and get busy. Use a cool nail polish hue to transform dull brown pins with chic shades of tangerine, fuchsia or turquoise. Whip out the glue stick and apply glitter or tiny colored stones to add some glam. Let the pins express her personality!
5. Peek-A-Boo. Summer is ponytail season, which leaves a whole new spot on the head to adorn. Create a bobby-pin "star"--or any other interesting shape--at the base of the ponytail for extra flair. Mist a finishing spray to hold pins in place and tame fuzz and flyaways.
6. Half and Half. Set hair on small rollers or a tiny curling iron to create massive, explosive texture. Then add contrast by smoothing one side or the top of the hair with sculpting gel, and secure with a row of bobby pins.
7. Get Set. Apply a whipped foam to damp hair, wind small sections into pincurls and secure with bobby pins. Set the entire head. At the end of the day, remove the pins and voila! Large, firm, loopy, lovely curls!
|Hailee Steinfeld (Photo by Steve Granitz/WireImage)||Model for Cacharel Runway show, Paris. (Photo by Julien Hekimian/Getty Images)|
|Thakoon Spring Summer 2013 fashion show @NYFW (Photo by Karl Prouse/Catwalking/Getty Images)|