Christian Dior: Chignon
Photos courtesy of Redken
For the Fall/Winter 2013 Christian Dior show in Paris, Redken Creative Consultant Guido created a slick chignon. The hairstyle had a hint of '50s, but the wet-looking finish took it from mod to modern, helping to define the more refined looks we've been seeing from Christian Dior with Raf Simons now at the helm.
"We're seeing a lot of shine in looks this season-dry super-matte hair feels a bit flat to me and shine helps breathe life into a look. This chignon is tough, slick and powerful," says Guido. "The Redken control addict 28 hairspray that I used is very high-hold for a fairly hard finish, and the look is overall, very elegant. The texture is what adds an element to an otherwise very uptown look. The glossy shine makes it look like she was caught in the rain, or out all night, and adds a sexy, even slightly melancholy element. It's certainly a little bit of a '50s look I suppose, but that's not really my inspiration-it's more about doing what's right for Raf and what's right for this collection."
Create the Look:
1. Apply guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam to damp hair, section-by-section, from roots to ends.
2. Partially blow-dry only the front section of the hair, pulling up from the roots with your fingers as you dry to give the style height at the crown. Leave the lengths of the hair damp and continue to style.
3. Using your fingers, part hair slightly off-center.
4. Take the top section of the hair that you blow-dried and clip it off to the side.
5. Gather the rest of the hair into a high ponytail, secure with an elastic, and then twist it into a small chignon, pinning flat to the head as you twist.
6. Unclip the front section and separate into two-on the left and right side of the part. Pull the left section back into the chignon, wrapping it around and pinning as you go. Repeat with the right-side section.
7. Spray entire style with a generous amount of forceful 23 super strength finishing spray.
Redken Products Used:
|Photos courtesy of Redken|