Shave Tips for Him
If you’re ever in New Orleans—or should we say, every time you’re in the Big Easy—take your man to Aidan Quinn for a “Shave at the End of the Galaxy.” Using six steamy towels, hot beard-softening oils, multiple applications of shave cream, and a final icy towel to make him come to his senses—oh, and close his pores—this out-of-this-world shave is not only an experience that shouldn’t be missed. The actual service is also loaded with tips about what your man can do at home to create smooth results everyday without a hint of razor rash.
Step-by-Step Shave for Professional Results at Home
1. A man should shower for this beard as much as his face and body. While being pummeled by hot water, place a moist, steamy towel over the face and neck and keep it there until it cools. Apply a light amount of shaving oil to the face and neck and repeat the steamy towel step.
2. Once out of the shower, immediately apply another light application of shaving oil to further soften the skin and beard.
3. After applying shave cream or oil, shave with the grain. If he doesn’t have sensitive skin, apply more shave cream and then shave across the grain. Aidan Quinn strongly recommends that men use the Mach3 by Gillette for both passes, which he believes is “the best razor in the world.”
4. After saturating a washcloth with cold tap water, apply it to the face and neck to remove any product residue by patting—not rubbing—the skin.
5. Apply a cold washcloth two more times to cool the skin.
6. Complete the shave by applying a shaving balm to ensure that the skin is cool, calm and ready to face the world.
Important: If he uses products that dry and irritate his skin, all of this effort will be for naught. Here are two men’s shave brands that we recommend for smooth, irritation-free results: American Crew and V76 by Vaughn
You can also go online and explore Aidan Quinn’s online store. It’s awesome!