Beach Bag Beauty Essentials
Think sunscreen, shades and a towel are all you need to pack on your next beach day? Think again! We've rounded up some beach bag essentials that'll defend your health and keep you looking fab as you soak up the sun.
Here’s a handy checklist to keep your beach bag stocked with summer must-haves:
- Distilled or deionized water: Douse your strands in either variation (both are mineral-free) before you take a dip. Hair—much like a dry sponge—soaks up moisture the minute it gets wet, filling up until it`s plump. A pre-swim soak decreases absorption of harsh minerals and metals.
- Hair accessories: Bring at least two elastic hair bands (one to use; one to lose!), preferably made of cloth and without a metal strip. We love Twist Band hair ties for kink-free ponies. After dousing hair with demineralized water, create a high and tight pony and pin it into a tight bun. This reduces the surface area exposed to UV rays, keeping tress damage and color fade minimal.
- Lip balm: Come to the beach armed with a balm that boasts UVA/UVB protection, with SPF 15 or higher. Jane Iredale LipDrink SPF 15 Lip Balm contains carrot seed and avocado oils for smoothing and soothing benefits, plus botanical extracts that lend antioxidant protection.
- Facial mist: That sea breeze feels divine, but it`s drying you out. Malibu C B5 Face & Body Moisture Mist is infused with provitamin B5 and other plant-derived nutrients to replenish dry skin that`s been exposed to environmental stressors.
- Sunscreen, SPF 30 or higher: This one`s a no-brainer! Apply generously and according to directions. Don`t forget the back of the neck and ears—especially when hair`s tied up! Jane Iredale Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscreen protects via titanium dioxide and natural clay.
- Cuticle oil: Apply after every swim to shield cuticles from the drying effects of wind and salt water. CND SolarOil Nail & Cuticle Conditioner is enriched with jojoba oil and vitamin E to deliver hydration and strengthen the nails.
- Wide-brimmed hat: Look for a chapeau made of, or lined with, tightly woven material—loosely woven hats (made of straw, for instance) can let in enough sunlight to cause damage. According to experts, each inch of hat brim reduces the risk of skin cancer by 10 percent.
- Sea salt spray: What`s a day at the beach without sexy, tousled beach waves? Secure an effortlessly undone `do with Affinage Salt Spray Volumising Texturizer, which creates carefree, textured styles with a touchable feel.
Jane Iredale LipDrink
Malibu C B5
Jane Iredale SPF
Affinage Salt Spray