"Whether clients are looking to create soft waves, curls or intense va voom volume, braids are the quickest way to really pump up the volume," says Sam Villa, founding partner of the Sam Villa brand and education artistic director for Redken 5th Avenue. To craft killer curls, follow Villa's simple technique.
The secret to Villa's technique is that the braiding should be done the night before. Remember to advise clients that the size and amount of braids determine the type of texture-the bigger the section, the looser the curl.
|Redken Guts 10 volume spray foam|
How to: Get Curls!
● Spray Redken Guts 10 volume spray foam into hands and use the fingers to rake through the top layer of dry hair and then the under section, to evenly distribute the foam which locks in texture.
● Waves: Divide the hair into 4 quadrants, braid each and secure with elastics (loosely to prevent a mark). For a more romantic smooth wave, use ponytails-wrap into buns and secure with pins.
● Curl: Divide hair into 12 sections, braid each, fold braid onto itself and pin.
● Intense Volume: Decide on a side or middle part and then cornrow the entire head in medium size cornrows. At the end of the hairline, start regular braiding, wrap the braid back onto itself and pin.
● Sleep on it! To prevent frizz, wear a Lucille Ball style scarf to bed.
● In the morning, take out braids and finger through the texture to separate, do not use a brush unless you want to deconstruct the texture and make it explode.
Other tips and techniques for creating braids and other fab hairstyles can be found at: http://www.samvilla.com/how-to/.