It Takes a Village
Photographer Amy Arbus viewed ’80s street fashions through her lens, compiling hundreds of shots in the process for her monthly style page in the Village Voice. Her most iconic photo: a young, yet-to-bediscovered Madonna standing on a street corner and wearing a super-sized coat and flats!
This season, Arbus’ treasure-trove of images has once again put the spotlight on ’80s street styles, this time for Peter Som’s fall/winter collection that tempers this era of urban boldness with a slick veneer of refi ned and romantic details.
HOT favorites: painterly prints; minimalistic tuxedos; juxtapositions of recurring textures and prints on different ensembles; and Muppet-like, furry coats and purses fashioned from cow pelts with hair.
Stick This Look
Wella Professionals lead stylist Christopher Dove collaborated with Peter Som to create the perfect hairstyle for his fall/winter 2013 collection.
As a result, the look is simple and sleek to create a smaller head shape that complements the silhouette of the clothing. (facebook.com/WellaUSA)
- Apply Velvet Amplifier to towel-dried hair to prime locks for a smooth finish.
- Blow-dry hair straight and completely dry to create a perfect canvas for styling.
- Separate hair in a straight-line center part or a deep side part, depending on the direction of natural hair growth.
- Create a back section by making a parting from the back of one ear, over the crown to the other ear. Brush the
- back section into a smooth, tight, low ponytail at the nape of the neck.
- Apply Stay Essential Finishing Spray (working spray) to the surface and use a finishing brush to smooth the surface of hair so there are no bumps or flyaway strands.
- Twist each of the front sections toward the head and then wrap them around the chignon as shown. Secure with pins.
- To keep hair really slick and free of flyaways and frizz, rub a small amount of Sculpt Force Flubber Gel on fingertips and then apply to the surface, paying particular attention to the areas around the part and front hairline.
- For a high-gloss finish, spray 3 to 5 pumps of Shimmer Delight Shine Spray all around the hair.
|Courtesy of Wella Professionals||Courtesy of Wella Professionals|
|All images: Courtesy of Peter Som Lookbook|